Saturday, December 27, 2008

Joshua 13

What stood out today:
1 When Joshua was old and well advanced in years, the LORD said to him, "You are very old, and there are still very large areas of land to be taken over.
2 "This is the land that remains: all the regions of the Philistines and Geshurites:
33 But to the tribe of Levi, Moses had given no inheritance; the LORD, the God of Israel, is their inheritance, as he promised them.

My response: Lord God, what a huge territory You wanted to give to Israel. It seems Joshua stopped short; he took much but not all. What a problem on several counts:
1) It is disobedience.
2) They did not take all You wanted to give.
3) Foreign gods and foreign wives still remained.

Jesus this seems to have great parallel to the LIFE You came to give:
1) It is large and bountiful, more than we think we need.
2) Your work of making us Holy opens a Kingdom that is vast, a land flowing with milk and honey.
3) Lord, help me not to stop short; let me not forfeit any Grace that could be mine.

Let me not be content with any “foreign gods” or foreign wives” left behind that might lead my heart astray from You. Jesus, there is part of me that says with great passion and tears that “I want You more than anything else.” And yet when I read that “You ,the Lord, the God of Israel are the inheritance for the Levites and not any wealth from the land,” I pause and hesitate, there is a part of me that still wants the earthly blessings as well as the One from heaven who blesses. Jesus, if you want to, or need to take away earthly things like BCF or the house or whatever… I trust You. I trust Your goodness that You want to give me something better; likely a greater trust in You… A faith that opens possibilities of intimacy with you that is more sublime and precious than any earthly thing.

“Rick, 'Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.'" Psalms 37:4”

No comments: