Thursday, December 25, 2008

Joshua 11

What stood out today:
4 They came out with all their troops and a large number of horses and chariots—a huge army, as numerous as the sand on the seashore. 5 All these kings joined forces and made camp together at the Waters of Merom, to fight against Israel.
6 The LORD said to Joshua, "Do not be afraid of them, because by this time tomorrow I will hand all of them over to Israel, slain. You are to hamstring their horses and burn their chariots."
13 Yet Israel did not burn any of the cities built on their mounds—except Hazor, which Joshua burned.
19 Except for the Hivites living in Gibeon, not one city made a treaty of peace with the Israelites, who took them all in battle. 20 For it was the LORD himself who hardened their hearts to wage war against Israel, so that he might destroy them totally, exterminating them without mercy, as the LORD had commanded Moses.

My response: Lord, again no one and no many can stand against you. Even if your whole creation rebelled we could not overpower You. With a single word You spoke it into being and with a single word I imagine You can pull the plug. I am also curious about the cities that Joshua did not burn and the Hivites that made a truce with Israel. It seems that this is a kind of yeast that will grow and be a curse to Israel in the future. I am also struck by verse 20, “You hardening their hearts” just like Pharaoh of Egypt. “Without mercy” as in Romans 9:15, “For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."” And in Exodus 33:19, “And the LORD said, "I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.”

Jesus, I remember Joshua 5:13-14, You are neither for Israel or us, or our enemies. But Israel is and Your church are Yours, You call us, You choose, You save, You justify, You Glorify. Hmm… Romans 8:28-30, “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.” God you did and You do it all! Yours is 1Chron 29:11 11,
Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power
and the glory and the majesty and the splendor,
for everything in heaven and earth is yours.
Yours, O LORD, is the kingdom;
you are exalted as head over all.

“Rick, let’s get it done. Let’s get rid of every sin. Hebrews 12:1, “Let us throw off everything that hinders that so easily entangles…”” Yes Jesus, I want to enter the Promised Land pure and undefiled. Happy Birthday Jesus…

No comments: