Monday, January 5, 2009

Joshua Review

What stood out today:
1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."
5:13 Now when Joshua was near Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with a drawn sword in his hand. Joshua went up to him and asked, "Are you for us or for our enemies?"
5:14 "Neither," he replied, "but as commander of the army of the LORD I have now come."
7 … So, Holy Spirit, destroy whatever is within or among me “that is devoted to destruction.” Extract and destroy all the tentacles of sin that are so deeply entrenched. In Hebrews 4:12-13 You say, “12For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. 13Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.” Yes God! I love what You are doing!!!
10 … I want the perfect, yielded, surrendered obedient LIFE of Christ. I want Jesus and His abundant LIFE more than anything else.
15 … Lord, it seems there is much we can do with common grace – that is, out of our everyday relationship with you. There seems times when you bring us to situations where our spiritual gifting and natural talents are not enough. Then we have the choice: try harder, or pause and pray and fast and watch You. Lord, I feel like I am working too hard. I feel like I might not be resting in You enough.
16 … What areas of sin are determined to stay? What is my redemptive potential? What difficult areas are yet to be taken, like the “forested hill country?”
18 … I am moved by Your question, “How long will you wait to take hold of the Land that the Lord… Has given you?” “Rick, what are you waiting for? My life has been given for you and to you. What are you waiting for - to let Me live it through you?” Jesus, I have no answer… My answer is nothing. Whatever is holding me back is an illusion, or worse an idol, a false god, a nothing. “Rick, go watch Nooma again #20 - Shells”
* I like Rob’s slow walk, his measured pace
* “Rick, what you are doing and ask why are you doing it?”
* “Rick, what are the shells filling your hands that are keeping you from taking hold of the star fish?”
* What have you said yes to?
21: 45 Not one of all the LORD's good promises to the house of Israel failed; every one was fulfilled.
“Rick, it’s never done; its eternal. There will be a time when sin is no more. But even then its not over. That is just when the unhindered good times begin.”
22: 5 But be very careful to keep the commandment and the law that Moses the servant of the LORD gave you: to love the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, to obey his commands, to hold fast to him and to serve him with all your heart and all your soul."
Jesus, I am so far from keeping Your commandments and laws and ways. I am struck by the central theme in Ted Tripps book Shepherding a Child’s Heart:
That we are dearly loved
That God has high expectations
That we are radically ruined, severely compromised by sin.
That Jesus came to pay the penalty, and lives that we have hope by life in Him and His life in ours.
Jesus, help me that my obedience would stand the tri-focal inspection of God. That I am not just doing the “what He says” but also the “why” and the “how;” for His Glory and by Your power. Help me to keep a posture of “we.” Help me walk with my brothers as one who is severely wounded by sin too…

My response: Lord God, so many good and precious promises and you are faithful to keep them. Thank you for all the time you have invested with me. Thank you for speaking so often and clearly. Jesus, as You help me, I will yield and surrender and walk this life out with You. So have your way. I am looking forward to the adventure. I love You Jesus, I trust You more… I will be strong and courageous and not be afraid…

No comments: