Sunday, January 4, 2009

Joshua 23 & 24

What stood out today:
6 "Be very strong; be careful to obey all that is written in the Book of the Law of Moses, without turning aside to the right or to the left.
10 One of you routs a thousand, because the LORD your God fights for you, just as he promised. 11 So be very careful to love the LORD your God.
24:14 "Now fear the LORD and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your forefathers worshiped beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the LORD.
15But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."
31 Israel served the LORD throughout the lifetime of Joshua and of the elders who outlived him and who had experienced everything the LORD had done for Israel.

My response: Jesus I hear you saying to me “Be very strong.” “Be very careful to obey everything.” “Be very careful to Love the Lord your God.” I love the question, “Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve?” As Israel said, they would serve and love the Lord. In verse 19 Joshua said, “You are not able to serve the Lord. He is a Holy God; He is a jealous God.” It is so true we can’t: serve, obey, or love God to the level that He requires. This is a proof text for Wayne Barber’s words, “I never said you could; I always said I would.” Yes Jesus, we are witnesses against our own selves. You are the only One who can live the LIFE and You must live it through me. Jesus, as You do, may I finish strong by Your strength, for God’s glory. May it be said of me and my household; “They served the Lord throughout their lifetime and into the next generations.”

No comments: